Thursday, June 12, 2008

Let's go Bowling

Do you like to bowl?

I do. It's a good way to pass the time, and you don't need a lot of skill to enjoy the game. I try to get out to the lanes about once a month, or so, either as a date with my wife or a night with the guys.

So, when I got my new cell phone and started playing with, I was pleasantly surprised to find that one of the games was a bowling game. I had to try it out.

At first, I wasn't impressed. The game was simple, but the controls were cell phone controls: too complicated for easy use.

To play, all I had to do was position the ball in the lane, choose how strongly to roll it, and set an angle to roll it. It rolled down the lane and hit the pins on its own. The main drawback is that there is no room at all for individual skill; the game program deteremines what happens when the ball hits the pins, so there is no room for fancy shots that can hit 7-10 split. On the other hand, once you figure what combination of settings will hit the 1-2 pocket, there's really no way at all that you can avoid a good score.

Basically, this game is good for mindless entertainment. The sort of entertainment that you need when you standing in line at the bank or the post office for 40 minutes, to carry out a 3 minute transaction that you really should have done by mail a week earlier, except you forgot, and now a personal transaction is required.

No comments: