Sunday, November 25, 2007

Why The Spider in Spider Solitaire?

I had always enjoyed playing Solitaire. I remember years ago, pretty much when games first came to computers, I was at work with a new computer. It had three games: Solitaire, Minesweep and Worms and I would alternate with the three all day long (when I had no work to do of course). But I always came back to Solitaire. I guess it was because it made me feel nostalgic. It was the game I had played (off line of course) with my late grandmother every Saturday afternoon following a cup of tea and some cookies. Anyway, a lot has changed since then obviously. Computer - and mobile phone - games have come a long way. So when I heard of Spider Solitaire, my curiosity was peaked. Why the Spider in the title I wondered?

Reap Benefits of Spider Solitaire If You Like Solitaire

I soon found out that Spider Solitaire was pretty much like the computer Solitaire I loved those years ago but with a real edge. The same rules apply vis-à-vis removing all the cards from the screen but you have 10 different piles, at least in this version. You have to remove them all from the screen after you have organized them in suits and numbers. There are two difficulty levels in this mobile game (easy which uses one suite and difficult which uses two). I find that I can finish a round in around 15 minutes if I do the easy level and so far about 40 minutes on the hard level, but that might just be because I'm not so accustomed to it yet. I can also pause the game whenever I want (which I do when my bus pulls up on the way to work). I like the graphics in this mobile phone game much more than I liked them on the basic solitaire computer based game. I wonder why it is called Spider Solitaire though?surely spiders are 8 legged (rather than 10) creatures, but maybe the creator of Spider Solitaire once saw a 10 legged spider!

Difference Between Spider Solitaire and Regular Solitaire

The biggest difference (and edge) I found between Spider Solitaire and its regular counterpart is probably HOW the cards are dealt. With the former, you get a whole row of cards dealt every time; but with regular solitaire it is just one card. This makes the game a little more challenging and way more exciting. You are less in control, have to place more emphasis on strategic development and have to use your brain much more in Spider Solitaire. Perhaps that is another reason it got its name - that is what you have to do when you have to deal with a spider in the bath - at least, that is what I have to do!

No comments: