Saturday, May 16, 2009

Racing by the Beach

I admit I'm not the most technologically savvy person. I don't have an iPod or Blackberry, but I do rely on my cell phone. I had no idea there were extra features offered on every cell phone. In fact, it was my son who told me that I have "Games." Huh??? Why would I want games on my mobile phone? I have a cell phone to make phone calls, not to play games. Well it turns out that it's a very good thing. My generation grew up on Asteroids, Space Invaders and Pac Man. To play a game like that on one's cell phone was unbelievable to me. We had these bulky machines with game cartridges. Today you can go to a mobile games website and download hundreds of fun games to your phone. My son was actually patient enough to teach me how to do this. I'm sure the majority of today's generation master this before pre school! So let me tell you about my first download. It was "Beach Rally, " a car race along the beach which is a lot of fun. I like games involving the race against the clock or an opponent. It's very simply to play. You use the number 5 key to accelerate, number 4 to turn left and number 6 to right. Number 8 is for braking, but I doubt anyone uses it. You're supposed to be racing, not stopping. Anyway, I discovered these mobile phone games are a wonderful feature. I had the misfortune of spending my day waiting in various lines at the Department of Motor Vehicles recently. To stop from going insane, I played "Beach Rally" most of the day. I knocked my son off the highest score list! Not too bad for a 40 plus woman who grew up in the Stone Ages of video games, don't you think?

No comments: